Saturday, November 10, 2007

A big fat eff you from American Airlines/Air Mexicana/TSA to Matt

I apologize already if the headline offends anyone. This post is going to show the anger that has possessed my body in the last 36 hours. It just got worse 30 minutes ago, and I didn't realize it could.

Let's start with yesterday AM. We had a great time out with the site from Mexico City and danced until about 3:00 a.m. We got up at 5:45 a.m. and went to the airport. For those that have traveled out of the country, you are required to fill out an immigration form when you enter into a foreign country, and give it back when you return. For those that know me well, you know how great I am with misplacing my wallet, cell, keys, passport, et cetera. It's the little things in life that I am crappy at. Anyways, I lost this form. No big. It's happened before, you fill it back out, and you go on your merry way. In Mexico, apparently that's not the case. $47 USD later, for a form that took 15 seconds to fill out and have stamped by Johnny Gringo, I could get my boarding pass.

On to the flight...we were scheduled to leave at 8:50 a.m. We were told that we were delayed until 11:00 a.m., leaving no wiggle room to make our connection, due to fog. At NOON, we were still delayed. At 12:15 p.m., we wondered why people we sprinting to the Air Mexicana counter. Oh, that's right, it had something to do with them cancelling our flight and not telling anyone, but announcing that the 12:30 flight to Dallas would be leaving on time. A mad dash to the counter ensues for all of us on the earlier flight to get switched. We get to the counter, and Maria my co-worker hands them our boarding passes [there were 3 of us in our group], and she says that she can get us all on the flight. If only that's where it ended; seconds later she apologizes, says that they cannot accomodate all requests and the two girls were randomly selected for the flight, but [as she is extending my boarding pass to me], she cannot give me this as it is going to someone else. Awesome.

I then have to go through immigration again [and by go through, I walked through the line reverse ignoring all Spanish], and re-book my ticket. Not too bad, as I get on the next flight to Dallas-Fort Worth and then St. Louis. Still, I am unhappy as I am leaving Mexico City and its 22 million people after I was supposed to be arriving in St. Louis, but still. I go through Duty Free, and by some liquor and get on my flight.

Now, one point I left out was that when I was in Mexico City, I told them that I would feel better getting my luggage and re-checking, as I was now flying only on American instead of Air Mexicana [which, I think, means 'I hate Americans and will eff them' in Spanish]. They said not to worry, and that I could pick up my luggage at the Air Mexicana counter in DFW, and that it would still be open when I got there. I think you know where this is heading...

So, I get to DFW, and the Air Mexicana counter is closed, and I cannot get my luggage. Awesome. But, why be worried, because I can file a claim in the morning? I go through immigration, and go to the American counter because I had a question. Can I take this Duty Free through security, or do I need to check it? Don't worry sir, it won't be an issue. I think you know where this is heading...

TSA at security tells me that this is above the liquid requirements, which I politely tell back the man [as I contemplate stabbing him in the throat with my pen], that the AA desk just told me there was no reason to check it, since it was Duty Free and zip-tied. No dice...unless I want to go back to the counter, check it, and go through security again. Did I mention my flight left in 10 minutes and there was only 1 security counter open? I left my alcohol there, seriously wondering whether it would be better to get arrested and beat that guy's ass. For some reason, cooler heads prevailed.

So, I arrived home, and my back came today a little a while ago to the house. It sure is great to be home...oh wait, the story gets even better.

I open my bag, and start to unpack my things when I start to wonder about my i-Pod. I am not sure why I didn't put it in my carry-on bag, but I didn't. I find what I packed my i-Pod in....and it's gone. No i-Pod, no headphones, and the USB cable to sink my i-Pod with my i-Tunes is also missing. Effing wonderful...to recap:

1. Paid $47 USD for a stupid piece of paper.
2. Flight cancelled [that makes 4 cancellations in my last 3 trips]
3. Had a boarding pass handed to me and then taken away
4. Had my duty free taken
5. No luggage available for me
6. i-Pod stolen

There is an extremely remote possibility that I left my i-Pod at the hotel, but I find it hard to believe that I packed the pouch in my suitcase empty. So, there is a slim chance of hope, but not much....

That's all for now...it is great to be home and spend time with Steph and Onyx. At least I have that going for me, which is nice...

4 comments:

Krissy said...

Remind me to never travel with you. Ever. I hope your weekend gets better. Can you do anything to get your iPod back?

Unknown said...

I think it's funny that you seem to think you're only bad at the little things in life.

You suck at life.

Anonymous said...

I just called and bitched at AA. We will see if anything comes to fruition.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is really weird, but when I unpacked my suitcase from KC this week, I had an EXTRA IPod in there. I think it's yours, too, because all it has on there is The Fray.