Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trip Recap

What a great trip! While it is difficult to put in a few short words, we had a blast in both cities...

Wednesday, June 18th -- We flew out with Pat very early on Wednesday morning on the 6:00 a.m. flight. We arrived without any delays on time into NYC and quickly took a car service to our hotel in Times Square. We beat my sister and her family and Morgan in, so we walked around Times Square and waited for their arrival.

My sister and her family arrived after a 5 hour drive from the outskirts of Baltimore, MD, and we met them and walked around. We made a quick stop at the world famous M&M museum on Times Square, as well as some quick jumps around town. Morgan arrived shortly thereafter and we took off for the Empire State Building, which was about 10 blocks away. We made and it with our pre-bought tickets (thanks for the great advice, Steve!) we had a pretty short wait on the way to the 82nd floor. We got some amazing views of the city and headed back to Times Square.

That night, Steph, Pat, Morgan and I headed to take in Yankee Stadium, as it is being torn down at the end of this year. It was pretty cool to see where a lot of famous baseball greats have played. After the hour rain delay, we saw a decent game without a true rooting interest between the Yankees and the Padres and then headed back to the hotel. It was a fairly early night as it had been a long day for all.

Thursday, June 19th -- We got up early and headed to South Manhattan for a visit on the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. It was pretty neat to see both; I didn't realize that the Statue of Liberty was actually on a platform of some kind. Ellis Island was pretty neat and it was amazing with all of the statistics and photos that are there. Hard to put into words.

From there, he walked past Wall Street and headed to Ground Zero; currently, it looks like just a big construction zone. There was a really cool bronze mural on the side of one of the buildings commemorating all of the fallen NYPD and NY Fire Department workers that were slain in the rescue attempts.

Then, we took the Subway back to Times Square and went up to Central Park. It was really neat and we luckily had a fantastic day, and there were people everywhere. There was also some kind of softball league between the different performing Broadway shows, which was pretty neat.

After that, we had some dinner with my sis and her crew and said our goodbyes as we grabbed our luggage and headed for our transporation to Boston. We arrived to the hotel around 11 and had some drinks at the hotel and went to bed.

Friday, June 20th -- We got a belated start to our day and made our way to Faneuil Hall, which is kind of like their upscale marketplace with street performers and stuff. We walked around, saw Cheers, and messed around before taking the Subway to Fenway.

Fenway was awesome. First, on our way there, we got passed by an enormous charter bus and limo, which turned out to be the 2007-2008 champion Boston Celtics. We saw a few get out and they were enormous. We headed inside, where the Celtics paraded around with their championship trophy during the 1 hour rain delay before the game.

The stadium was pretty sweet with all of the history and great players there as well. We were fortunate enough to see a well played and tense 5-4 Cardinal victory. After the game, we went to a nearby bar, where I promptly managed to offend a local Bostonian female by calling her uneducated. She then preceded me to harass me around the bar until it closed. We then made it back to the hotel unscathed.

Saturday, June 21st -- Not much time to do anything except get up and take a taxi to the airport. It was a great trip and I would love to go back to either city, as we didn't get to see a bunch of things, for that I am sure.

No comments: