Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Elephant Walks


I don't know how I forgot to mention this, because of its absolute awesomeness, but, I have now seen twice in my life an elephant being walked in the streets. During night #2 in Phitsanulok, I saw a guy walking a baby elephant down the street. Needless to say, it was awesome.

Back in Bangkok...we arrived back last night about 10:30 p.m. Bangkok cabbies are ruthlessly corrupt...dude tried charging us 450 Baht for our taxi ride with the meter off (about $15 USD), but we knew it was super cheap to actually pay the meter (turned out to 140 Baht, or about $7 USD). That SOB didn't get a tip from me as a result (don't worry, tipping is not customary over here, unless the service is unusually good...I wish we had that practice in the US sometimes instead of it being expected).

It's nice being back in Bangkok...bigger city, a lot more to do. We have one more day here before we fly tomorrow afternoon to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The trip is not going to be as exciting as anticipated...the place with most of the ancient temples is actually about an hour flight, or a 6-hour drive, from Phnom Penh, so we won't be doing a whole lot of temple watching.

James (our senior) has a buddy flying in from the US today; unfortunately, his flight is delayed by 12 hours. He is coming to Cambodia with us for the weekend, so our group grows from 3 to 4. We will have a quick, short visit to Cambodia, where I need to get my 10 mile run in on Saturday!
Hope everything is treating you all well, and you had great Easter celebrations! Enjoy the Madness for me! Talk to you soon.
Oh, and my Hong Kong pics are up! The pic shown here is one of my new $1 ties, in case you forgot how tough and cool I am.

No comments: